As the summer solstice is fast approaching, many areas of the world are experiencing record-breaking heat waves. We here at Very Little Known Facts have put together some trivia, helpful hints, and historical insights into the phenomenon known as Temperature.
- Avoid drinking cold beverages in the summer heat. Although the drink may "seem" refreshing, your body will actually heat up processing the liquid.
- Dogs have no sweat glands. This is the origin of the phrase, "Dog Days of Summer."
- Global warming is a serious issue that may affect many people in certain climates outside the United States.
- "Hot Hot Hot," the #1 hit single written by Buster Poindexter and the New York Dolls, is the national anthem of Jamaica.
- In the Southern Hemisphere, summer is actually the coldest season of the year.
- Heat stroke is caused by an aneurism, or blod clot in the brain due to sunburn.
- Many people are daunted by the concept of the heat index. In reality nothing cold be easier to understand. Simply apply the following formulate to calculate the heat index: Heat=Temperature+Humidity