Greetings from vacationland! Can you believe that 81% of Americans have never even seen an ocean? Even so, the beach remains a popular and crowd-pleasing destination. Here is a special beach edition of Very Little Known Facts.
- Only five of Hawaii's two thousand islands are not completely surrounded by water.
- Conchs, whorls, and other shells are the discarded exoskeletons of immature eels.
- SORRY KIDS: Since they are made entirely of lava, it is impossible for volcanic islands to have natural beaches. Sand must be brought in by barge. In the Bahamas alone, over 7 million metric tons of sand were shipped from Tunisia.
- Approximately 2 million people around the world live in underwater colonies--and you can bet they don't vacation at the beach!
- Sand, glass, and plastic are all chemically identical; they are all made of silicon dioxide, better known as Silicone!
- I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT ALOE: The best salve for jellyfish stings is butter. If you don't have any butter handy, try mayonnaise.