The medical profession has really come a long way since the days of bloodletting, leeches, and appendectomies. But the average person today still knows more about how their VCR works than they do about their own body! Benjamin Franklin (the first licensed physician in the 13 colonies) once said, "Cure a pound of flesh to save a pretty penny." With this is mind we have assembled some Very Little Known Medical Facts:
- Sleep is the only proven cure for sunburn. "Aloe" treatments actually aggravate the situation.
- THANKS MOM: Dandruff is hereditary from your mother's side.
- So-called "snakebite kits" are, at best, lethal if you have been bitten by a venomous snake. The only medically recognized treatment for a poisonous snakebite is amputation.
- LET YOUR FREEDOM FLAG FLY! 75% of men have hair growing from the "corona" of their penis.
- The best cure for the common cold is air.
- ON A RELATED NOTE: Flushing, New York has the highest air to water ratio in the country. Area hospitals report an average of one case of the common cold per year to health authorities.
- "Blisters" have been around since the Bronze Age when humans first started doing manual labor.
- STILL HUNGRY? If you were to finish eight cans of tuna in one sitting, you would ingest the same amount of mercury that you would get by eating a rectal thermometer or a non-stick frying pan.